Saturday, October 19, 2013

Bookish Survey: Cast A Harry Potter Spell! Part One

Created by Flip That Page

This was such an awesome survey idea, created by Flip That Page, so I had to participate! I love Harry Potter spells, I have almost all of them memorized after years of studying to go to Hogwarts. Unfortunately, despite the intense studying I did as an 8-10 year old, I never received the Hogwarts letter. So, this is the perfect survey for me!

Also, I am separating this survey into two posts, this post is about casting the spells!

Now here is the list of spells and my answers. 

--------------------------------------------

Reparo
fixes damaged objects
A book that needs some serious fixing: Born of  Illusion by Teri Brown This novel had an outstanding premise, yet the book had boring writing and the characters were about as intriguing as cardboard boxes. (And, in the cardboards defense, at least you can slide down hills on the it. If you tried to ride Born Of Illusion down a grassy hill you would fail...)
Lumos
creates a narrow beam of light
A book that deserves more attention: The Faerie Guardian and The Faerie Prince by Rachel Morgan This series is so amazing! The characters are topnotch with a kickass female lead and Ryn, the love interest that always makes me laugh. Also, the plot is amazing with non-stop action. I don't know why the books are not well known to everyone
Nox
counters the effects of Lumos
An overhyped book: Significance by Shelly Crane I am sorry, but this was a downright terrible book... I laughed and rolled my eyes in the places I was supposed to swoon over Caleb or worry about Maggie. However, this is being made into a movie next year and the book has a 4.22 average rating on Goodreads. I can't believe it either.
Accio
summons an object from a significant distance
A book you’re anticipating: The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead The Bloodlines Series is amazing. I cannot wait for the book to release! I want more adventure, humor, action, Adrian, and the rush of my many emotions running high! These books always have me holding my breath.
Alohomora
opens unlocked doors, unless bewitched
A book you want to be more open about:Any Classic out there. Yeah, I have problems reading them. I've started around three, but I have only finished one, and that was for a reading group. Also, in high school I will have to be more open about the classics. *sigh*
Expecto Patronum
conjures an incarnation of positive feelings
A book that made you cry, or at least want to: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak I was an emotional wreck when I finished the novel. Why Mr. Zusak? Why? How could you?... Bring back the lemon haired boy! Right. Now. (I am nearly crying just thinking about the The Book Thief.)
Morsmordre
conjures the Dark Mark
A book you wish to mark as one of your favorites: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken I loved this book, even though I initially had strong doubts whether I would enjoy the story. Alexandra blew my mind with her amazing world, characters, and writing. Also, her novella for the series, In Time, is just as good!
Petrificus Totalus
petrifies victim
A book you wish to keep forever: The Song of the Lioness quartet. Alanna's journey was one one of my first Young Adult experiences! (I was still into Middle Grade back then.) I discovered the series around 3 years ago, and I haven't stopped reading since. Also, Alanna is such an amazing protagonist and Tortall is one of my favorite fantasy settings ever!
Protego
shield charm
An intimidating book you keep putting off: Daughter of Smoke and Bone I'm so scared I won't love it like everyone else. I mean, all the praise it has gotten is intimidating! However, once I read it, I hope Daughter of Smoke and Bone will become a favorite, especially since I already bought the second book, Days of Blood and Starlight.
Riddikulus
used against a boggart
A book with a deceiving synopsis: The Book of Broken Hearts I thought this book would be about a romance like the synopsis suggests, but I found the book to be more about family and mental illness. It was better than I had hoped!
Lacarnum Inflamarae
shoots fireballs
A book you wish to burn out of your mind completely: From Ashes by Molly McAdams This was a terrible and ridiculous book. Ugh. I hated it with a fiery passion.

Wingardium Leviosa
levitates objects
A book you wish to reread: If I keep a book on my shelf, it means I wish to reread it at some point. Most of my 300 books on my shelf have at least been read twice, and will continue to be reread and reread again. One I know I will reread soon is Through the Ever Night in preparation for Into the Still Blue.
Avada Kedavra
causes instant death
Worst book EVER: Fallen by Lauren Kate I was so bored reading this. The love interest has zero personality. I am not kidding. I just remember him being broody and not talking much. Our main character, Lucy, is a little pathetic and unrelatable. The characters could have fallen off a bridge and I would have just been glad the book ended. 


So, that was part one! What do you think of this awesome survey?
-Emily

3 comments:

  1. This is really creative! And I can't believe you only found Tamora Pierce 3 years ago...I obsess over this woman hard core. I legit reread all of her Tortall series yearly haha (I've already gone through two of the quartets in the past couple months....I have a problem....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I discovered Tamora Pierce late :D (Although her books are older than me.)

      I know, her book are so rereadable! My copy of In the Hand of Goddess has been read at least 20 times (Once, when I was bored, I read it twice in a week.) And my copy of Emperor Mage has pages falling out.

      Delete
  2. I have admittedly never read anything Tamora Pierce yet XD And I definitely recommend Daughter of Smoke And Bone! It's a little intimidating, but I'm almost sure you'll love it ;) Oh and I definitely wanna try out The Book of Broken hearts-- it seems interesting! I haven't read books 2 and 3 of Bloodlines yet, but I guess if I did, I'd be anticipating book 4 too. And great post Emily, thank you for doing this!! <3

    ReplyDelete