Thursday, January 31, 2013

Review: The Selection

 Goodreads description: For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


I heard somewhere that you either loved or hated this book. For me, it was love at first page. The writing transported me into America's world. It was a light read (which after reading Nevermore I needed quite desperately) and was fun, but with good messages.

I think I am Team Maxon...okay, I know I am! But, I can't just ditch Aspen! He is amazing too!
This was a change for me, normally I root for the Aspen- styled love interest, but, well,  there is no denying I am all for Maxon being with America! Maybe because he balances off her temper so beautifully.

I read this book sprawled out on my bed, where I proceeded to squeal, giggle, and bury my head into my pillows laughing or smiling! When I have this reaction to a book I know it'll definitely be a favorite!

The castle where this takes place captured my attention at once, I love castle settings! Also, all the 35 girls were completely lovable/hatable depending on which one! All the characters were believable and added to the story! From America's family (who are amazingly written) to the servants (they are so sweet to each other, and I love how they and America get along).

I really love America as the main character, I connected to her immediately, she is spunky and real! I also love that she plays the violin! I play the violin as well, it is such a great instrument!!!

I am in desperate need of the sequel, the Elite. Isn't the cover beautiful?

I would definitely recommend this! If you aren't sure if you'll be in the love this book or hate this crowd, at least check it out from the library or borrow it!

5/5 bookcases




Find the Selection on goodreads here

No comments:

Post a Comment