Sunday, January 27, 2013

Review: Nevermore

Goodreads synopsis: Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear that he'd rather not have anything to do with her, either. But soon Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her freinds and possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying shories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagned and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Can she save Varen from the madness taking hold of him? Or will they both be consumed by the shadows of his nightmares?


I finished this book in one night, I am not kidding. When I ordered this on amazon a couple weeks ago, I didn't expect myself to finish the 543 page paperback in one night! But I did, wow. The cover did not have me thinking great things. I mean, he looks like he could be a starving (look how hollow his cheeks are!) axe wielding assassin, and she his "I am so mysterious, you can't see my eyes. I have so many secrets" girlfriend. Okay, maybe i am exaggerating... a bit. Well, anyway, Isobel and Varen are much better than that!

My favorite part of this book is the wild fantasy, I have always been a sucker for those kind of books! Kelly Creagh makes the dark fantasy so haunting and realistic. I shuddered many times throughout Nevermore's pages. Thanks to this book, I now have a tiny spark of interest of Edgar Allen Poe. Except did you hear he married his cousin or something? (Sorry, couldn't resist, if you have read this book you'll understand the inside joke. If not, read Nevermore now!)

Nevermore sucked me in. I can't really explain why. I loved the fantasy, I loved most of the characters. Maybe it was because it felt so realistic to me, so plausible. While I was reading this i felt like I was dreaming it. I could see everything, hear the voices, understand the characters.

My favorite character was Gwen. She was just a lot of fun to read about. The absolute perfect person to make you smile and laugh.

One of my only complaints is that Varen wasn't as spectacular as a main character could be. I rated him "normal" in the "how much do I like the characters rating". I mean I don't have anything to point out that I hated, it is just I could have felt a little more for him than what I did!

I REALLY recommend this book. If you love real fantasy, you'll love the originality and darkness of Nevermore.

I give this

4.75/5 bookcases

No comments:

Post a Comment